Hello dear friends. This is a recipe one I posted a couple years back. What I love about DIY seasoning mixes like this one is that you know what goes into them. So many of the store bought seasoning packets are laced with wheat, uneccessary fillers, and preservatives with names I cannot even pronounce. With this recipe, there is a little measuring to do up front, but you've also made enough seasoning for four batches of stew!
Get the recipe here or better yet, pick up a copy of Everyday Classics. You'll find the recipe and so many more basic gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, soy-free and corn-free recipes like this one you don't want to be without!
Gluten-Free Stew Seasoning
1 cup superfine brown rice flour
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons granulated onion
2 tablespoons sweet paprika
2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon celery seed
2 teaspoons dried oregano flakes
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
1 teaspoon dried dill
- Measure ingredients for Stew Seasoning into a large jar.
- Cover and shake to combine. Seasoning keeps for up to 6 months.
- This recipe makes enough Stew Seasoning for approximately 4 batches of stew.
2 pounds 1-inch cubed beef or bison stew meat
6 tablespoons Stew Seasoning (see recipe above)
2 tablespoons high heat cooking oil
5 cups water, divided
6 cups cubed potatoes
2 cups chopped or baby carrots
2 cups chopped celery
3 cups beef broth
- In a large bowl toss stew meat with 6 tablespoons Stew Seasoning.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet and brown half the meat on all sides. Transfer browned meat to slow cooker pot. Repeat with remaining meat.
- Deglaze skillet with 1 cup water, scraping up any crispy bits. Add this liquid to the slow cooker pot along with the potatoes, carrots, celery, broth and remaining 4 cups water.
- Cover and cook on high 4-6 hours or on low 6-8 hours, or until meat is tender.
- Salt and pepper to taste.