Amy of Simply Sugar & Gluten Free is having a baby—and any day now!
To celebrate the upcoming arrival of Baby Boy Green, a group of us have come together to surprise Amy and Joe (that'd be Amy's husband) with a virtual baby shower.
As many of you know, Amy is always cooking up something scrumptious on her blog and hopefully today she can take a break, kick up her heels, and relish in some well-deserved love and special attention.
Having met Amy personally, I can tell you that she is as kind, caring and dynamic in person as is her blog persona. She has embraced this thing of motherhood with the same passion evident in every other facet of her life. It is a beautiful thing to see.
When debating about what to bring to this shower, I couldn't decide between savory or sweet. Finally, I decided savory. I remember my own shower and how ravenous I was for protein! I also took Amy's diet into consideration—no gluten, no refined sugar. And since eggs are usually off limits in our house, I was tickled that I could use them in a dish I would be taking to a party.
These gluten-free, dairy-free Crepe Quiches were born a little over a year ago and were inspired by Alton Brown. In his quiche episode he tosses crepes into muffin tins, fills them with a mixture of egg, veggies and meat, and voila—elegant mini quiches. Because they contain eggs, I have been hesitant to post this one—so if you're egg-free, apologies in advance for this temptation.
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Mini Crepe Quiches
Gluten-Free | Casein-Free | Citrus-Free | Easily Corn-Free | Dairy-Free | Fish-Free | Nightshade-Free | Peanut-Free | Potato-Free | Rice-Free | Shellfish-Free | Soy-Free | Tree Nut-Free | Wheat-Free | Sesame-Free | Sweetener-Free | Yeast-free | GFCF | Vegetarian
Makes: Approximately 18 individual quiches
FOR THE CREPES
6 large EGGS, room temp
1 cup + 2 tablespoons unsweetened NON-DAIRY MILK, room temp
3 tablespoons OIL (I use Spectrum palm shortening, melted but not hot)
1-1/3 cups QUINOA FLAKES
1/3 cup TAPIOCA STARCH
1/2 teaspoon SEA SALT
FOR THE FILLING
1-1/4 cups unsweetened NON-DAIRY MILK
1 teaspoon SALT
1/2 teaspoon PEPPER
2 tablespoons all-purpose GLUTEN-FREE FLOUR
1 cup cooked MEAT, chopped and/or cubed
1-1/2 cups VEGETABLES of choice, chopped and/or cubed
Daiya Shreds or grated cheese, if tolerated (optional)
- Add ingredients to blender in above order. Blend to combine. Let mixture rest 3-5 minutes to allow quinoa flakes to soften. Blend at medium speed until super smooth. Gently tap bottom of blender on counter to release bubbles that form.
- Heat non-stick crepe pan (Note: see this crepes post for cooking tips) over medium-low to medium heat. Wipe pan with a well-oiled paper towel. Pour scant 1/4 cup batter into pan and swirl to coat bottom of pan to form a 5-6" crepe, continuing to swirl as batter sets.
- When top of crepe is almost dry to the touch, flip and cook for another 5 seconds. Transfer crepe to plate. Repeat until all batter is used up. Should make 18 to 20 5-6" crepes.
- Line 18 muffin tins (oiled if not non-stick) with crepes. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 325˚F.
- In medium bowl, toss meat and vegetables with flour. Divide this mixture evenly among crepe cups. Set aside.
- In medium bowl, whisk eggs. Add milk, salt, and pepper and whisk until thoroughly combined. Spoon 3 tablespoons of egg mixture over meat and vegetable-filled crepe cups. Top with Daiya or cheese, if desired.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until egg mixture is set and cooked through.
- Meat and vegetable suggestions: Ham, crisp bacon bits, cooked sauasage, chopped fresh spinach, diced tomatoes, chopped broccoli, sliced mushrooms, sundried tomatoes.
- Make these vegetarian by replacing the measure of meat with additional veggies.
And the Shower Goes On ...
Don’t miss any of the celebration! Be sure to check out all of the other delicious dishes and well wishes for Amy and Joe and Baby Green. And thank you to our lovely hostesses, Maggie and Hallie, for pulling this together.
Maggie from www.sheletthemeatcake.com
Hallie from www.dailybitesblog.com
Alta from www.tastyeatsathome.com
Kelly from www.thespunkycoconut.com
Carol from www.simplygluten-free.com
Cara from www.carascravings.com
Silvana from www.silvanaskitchen.com
Ricki from www.dietdessertndogs.com
Alisa from www.alisacooks.com
Jen from www.gfreelife.com
Kim from www.cookitallergyfree.com
Cybele from www.cybelepascal.com
Miz Helen from www.mizhelenscountrycottage.blogspot.com